Tuesday 1 September 2015

Phnom Penh to Udon Thani

     It was time to move on, I would be on a bus for the next 15 hours, taking us to Siem Reap, then to the border, transfer there to another bus, then the stretch drive to Bangkok. As I climbed onto the 'night bus', I knew it was not going to be the ride for me. Night bus, I never saw one, didn't think it would be different, only at night...right? Wrong!

     It was a double decker, and as I boarded, I was reminded to take off my shoes....wait, what? Shoes off, I climbed the stairs to see no seats, but two levels of sort of bunks, they were reminiscent of gym mats shaped like lounge chairs by the pool. I was assigned my place, climbed up and thought it was a little tight, but I'd manage. A few minutes later, and a young guy is pointed to my bunk, I look at my space, then realize that it is two spots, and I got the window seat, which was not exactly a window seat , as it had some sort of bumper, which would be a pain for me.
Notice the lovely 'bumper' for my inconvenience


    I had my backpack with me and I wedged it under my legs, as I would need to keep my knees bent, as there was no room for my dangly long legs on this ride. My bunk mate was a nice young guy going to Siem Reap, a trip he has done often. He closes his eyes and I decide to follow suit and do the same, except mine are like the blinds in that Bugs Bunny cartoon and keep flapping right back up. This 'bumper' is in the worst spot, digging into my side and also has my arm in a twisted mess. Five hours later, we were in Siem Reap, my friend got off and we waited, then more people got on....."please not my seat, please not my seat. Get the hell away from here, lady!" Was going through my head, and my hexing paid off, alone in this wretched excuse for a seat/bunk.


   The Border, gather your things, your on a new bus. a little foggy, I follow the others to a spot to where we were given a lanyard with an ID and going to wait. Nope, let's go, we walk to the border, with passport in hand and wait to be herded through. I get by and then told to walk over there to the new bus. I am walking, along with about a gazillion people, through a some vendors, past some tuk-tuks and other entities that I ignored, looking for my bus. No bus...great, someone points ahead...the bus, great only about a kilometer further than I expected! Not the bus, but another border to cross, we go inside an air conditioned building and line up. The real border, I make it through with a little scrutiny, but no worse for wear. Only another kilometer to the bus now, I exchange some money, as American $$$ are not accepted here. I get on the VIP bus (which is a maxi van...for a lack of a better description), I ask if I could be dropped at the airport in Bangkok. We get pulled over and the military ask for my 'peppers', I look in my pocket, not there, my bag, I open and close the zippers, nervous now, as this guys hand is still waiting. There they are....the first pocket I checked, I hand my passport over to the smiling Private....General....whatever rank he is. 5 more hours to the airport and I unload and walk in the building I'm pointed to. It's a train station!!!!


    I am told to buy a coin to go the airport, phew. In the airport, I make my way to Bangkok Air and ask about a ticket to Udon Thani, a northeast city. 1290 Bahts I am shown on an adding machine, I divide by 33 and come up with $36. Wow, I was willing to pay more to avoid another 10 hours on a stupid bus. I get to go into a VIP room for Bangkok Air customers and wait there, what a sweet deal this turned out to be. Cakes and coffee for a few hours would be awesome. I chat with a few friends online while waiting, helps to keep me awake. I start to cackle uncontrollably at something said online with my brother....so tired. Entertainment for a family close by as they join me in my laughter, as tears are running down my face, that's good, happy to provide some light humor. One hour later I'm exiting my plane in Udon Thani and taxied to my hotel.
Bangkok Air VIP room goodies


3 comments:

  1. "Peppers? I don't need no stinkin peppers!" Should have said it...you will regret not sayin it. Lol no way I could have taken that ride....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..I was thinking it...there's no way I could have either, Jim. The flight was nice :)

      Delete
  2. You might have been more comfortable on the bunk if you were on your side spooning your bunkmate. Should have suggested it!

    ReplyDelete