Monday 9 November 2015

Pattaya....Sin City?

   Hi, heading to Pattaya from Surin by bus....overnight....BLAH! At least it's not a sleeper bus, I had that before and never want it again. I decided it was time to move on and see a resort styled city. I had thought of going earlier, but reports of flooding was keeping me away. The bus ride was about 8-10 hours long and true to form, I was awake for all of those wonderful hours.

   I arrive in Pattaya with rain coming down quite nicely, the 'friendly' tuk-tuk/moto drivers were all over me before I had even stepped out of the bus. I mentioned my hotel name and saw a few confused glances, so I went with the one who did not even blink when the words came out of my mouth. The moto driver proved me right, bringing me directly to where I wanted, all for 50 Bahts (less than $2).


   The hotel seemed a little fancy for me but I went in anyways...I was a little tired. Payed for my room...double the price I had ever paid here! Oh well, one night of fine living won't soften me. I went for a walk and found the way to the beach pretty easily. I also found many massage parlors...rather they announced to me where they were, as the girls were all 'massage sir?, nice massage for you sir' all the while holding a price sheet in my face for the length of their shops. The beach was on Beach Road, pretty original, I thought. As you approach the beach, you approach the 'hawkers', first one is the renter, who you pay to sit under their umbrellas on a nice plastic lounge chair. I met two girls on the beach who were sitting near me, they were here from Bangkok for one more day and they were happy to chat with me for the day. as the day went on and the hawkers plied their trade, I realized that these sales people were quite large in numbers and consistently asking the same questions...buy this toy, why not buy these Ray Bans? This shirt is good for you....ect. At least 4 to 5 vendors, every minute. was quite nauseating. One of my new friends told me to say 'bo kub chai'. I did and the next few vendors smiled and walked off...then they seemed to have lost sight of me, as this special magical spell I wove had rendered me invisible. All I said was 'no thank you', but it was in Lao and these vendors were all from Isaan, which is a Thai/Lao mix. With my near perfection of the accents here, I think I earned a little respect from these people. 

Friends at the beach


    Swam here with one of the girls, I in my swimming trunks, she in her dress...lol I dont know what to make of this, but it seems quite normal here. This is my first swim in a salted body of water, and let me tell you, it is quite salty. I was quite surprised at the heavy dose I got when I first tasted it. Now I understand how those people stranded in lifeboats can dehydrate! Spent the day at the beach, chatting and laughing and we had a makeshift dinner right there, mine was the tried and true chicken fried rice...always safe...except when they fire a fried egg on top...I had learned early on to ask for no egg.

    The following morning, I made my way towards the beach to a guesthouse more to my price range, ugh...I miss the lap of luxury already....this place is a hole! Hahaha no, but it certainly is a step or 5 down from last night's spot. I am closer to the beach, and this is the first place I've been in SE Asia that has a bathtub. Back to a $12 room is tough to handle, but I manage. Smokers, loud talkers and party people are abound here at cheap hotel Pattaya, but hey, you get what you pay for. I saw a nicer spot for $3 more but farther from the beach. 

    Most of my days in Pattaya are spent at or near the beach, as it seems to be the hub of the action, there is always people coming and going, and things to see. I enjoyed strolling along Beach Road looking at the shops and markets, chatting with people I meet. I made my way to the end of Beach street and stumbled upon the Red Light District called 'Walking Street', many neon signs and and women standing outside of them calling to potential customers.


I think the caption here is partly or mostly true

    That was the darker side of Pattaya, there is a lighter side that is as beautiful as the dark side is ugly. I mentioned the beach, the people here are wonderful and very attentive to your needs. Some are pushy, goal oriented (with the goal, almost always being money), but who can blame them, there is much poverty here. Almost everybody I have met, so far has been so kind and helpful, it's been overwhelming at times.

    There is a temple here in Pattaya that rivals the White Temple of Chiang Rai, I know, I know, I did not believe it either, The Sanctuary of Truth stands at 105 meters and sits along the shores of the Gulf of Thailand. Construction began is 1981 and should be completed by 2050. It is completely made of wood, with wooden sculptures reminiscent of Angkorian times from the Khmer Dynasty. There are Buddhist and Hindu representation at this temple.  Also many ideologies from China, India, Cambodia, and Thailand. There is constant repair happening here, as the elements are very hard on the wooden structure, but the beauty of this building is breathtaking. 



The Sanctuary of Truth



    Time is approaching for me to make my way back to Cambodia, to meet my brother, Paul at Phnom Penh. I had to figure best route to get there (cost and comfort is always a factor...comfort, a little higher on my priority list...hahaha)


Have not...but I would be ok with this :)







3 comments:

  1. Was on google maps and first thing I saw in Pattaya was the nest of wires on every post. Really enjoying the narrative Luc...be safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim, thanks for the comments. Yes...it is like that all over SE Asia. So notkbow why....maybe they got wire at a better price than us...lol

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad your new friends told you what to say on the beach. The constant barrage of people trying to sell things would drive me CRAZY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete