Thursday 3 September 2015

Starting North

     Before I left Ottawa, I told my brother I was thinking of starting in the north of Thailand. He told me that that was a great idea, as the beaches were south, and if I started at the beaches, I probably wouldn't leave. I plan on starting in Nongkai, from there Chiang Mai, then Udon Thani, and work my way south.

     I land in Udon Thani and gather my things and get a taxi to my hotel, I negotiated a 60 Bahts ride ($2), and I cannot stress this in SE Asia, get a price before you get into a transport of sorts. They will agree to a price and stick to it, if none was agreed, they will demand you give them more than it is worth, if this makes sense. My hotel'The Lotus Condotel' was only $10 and I got way more than I paid for, while it was not a 5 star establishment, it served it's purpose. The owner was fluent in English and a great host.

   I went to a night market and had some ice cream, back to the hotel and heard some music playing, I went to investigate and found a small bar connected to the hotel. I entered and was immediately surrounded by 3 lovely gir....what? These were no girls at all, but 'lady-boys', I ordered a drink and chatted with these three (after establishing my non interest in what they were selling). They were actually very respectful and quite entertaining, chatting and doing karaoke...lol.

View from balcony in Udon Thani


    The next morning, after the torrential downpour, the hotel owner gave me a ride to my bus to Nongkai and warned me of thievery and the likes...gratis, that's service. My bus was all of 50 Bahts, about $1.50 for a 1 hour trip. I arrived in Nongkai with my (apparent) best friend waiting for me.

     A man grabbed my hand and shook it with a big smile and a welcome, my tuk-tuk driver, he asked where I wanted to go. I told him The Rim Riverside Hotel and he told me 80, I countered with 50 and we agreed on 60 bahts. I had no idea how far it was. Ended up a good deal, was a fair cost and the hotel owner was there with a big welcome and very good English. The room was 700 bahts, to which I negotiated down to 650 per night. I let him know I was staying 4 days.

The Rim Riverside Hotel



    The room was big, clean and had a beautiful view of the Mekong, with Vientiane, Laos directly across the river.  There was a riverside walking path that led right past may restaurants and to a market. I noticed I had lost my point and shoot camera and my host, immediately drove me to the mall so I could purchase another.

A tour boat going along the shores of the Mekong

     I did many things in Nongkai, I walked everywhere, to the Friendship Bridge (a gift from Australia), on my way, found a beautiful Wat with a tree that was at least as wide as a car. I stopped at a roadside BBQ hut and had chicken and a coke(old school bottle) for 40 Bahts....what a steal. I went to many restaurants along the riverside and to 2 markets, one permanent one and one that appeared in about an hour.


    The people in this city were fantastic, always smiling and very patient with my lack of Thai. I met many people, but there were these sisters I met at a restaurant one day, who became my self appointed tour guides and brought me to many places including the Sala Keoku Park, which is a stunning are where there are many sculptures and nice picnic areas.

7 headed snake at Sala Keoku Park


     The 4 days in Nongkai flew by, was such a beautiful city with fantastic people, I will remember this city quite fondly and will return if given the chance.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're spreading your friendly banter everywhere you go. You're making awesome karma that will bring you lots of great adventures over there!

    ReplyDelete