Friday 21 August 2015

The Long, Winding Road to Phnom Penh

    Ottawa Airport. Sister drops me off, Hugs all around. Get pulled from first line I'm in and swabbed on the hands, shoes and luggage, many others (shiftier than me) walk on by. Oh well, wasn't a big delay. Wait for plane, is on time and thus begins the journey.

    Vancouver at 2:20 am, waiting for 3 hours, then leave at 2:20 am,,,,what the? Oh yeah time lines were crossed....as many more will be, soon enough. So I fought to stay up till 5:20 am....Ottawa time, so I will sleep well on 12 hour flight. I took a sleeping pill and dozed off for a deep slu....what the heck???? ! hour later and somehow I've woken up and am unable to fall back asleep. I am glad my sister told me to wear long pants, as it is quit cool on the flights.

    Taipei, Taiwan. 4:40 am, now just need to wait for a few hours to reach last leg. The sun is rising, ready to burn off the fog...and it'd pretty thick. I keep watching so I can get a feel for the city skyscape, but it's not fog, it's smog, and it's not going away. People start to mill about, some with "smog masks", most without. I am chatting with family and friends as I wait, I wonder how we traveled before the internet.
There are buildings and hills back there
     The last flight to Phnom Penh, uneventful, yet pretty neat view of the Mekong river, snaking it's way in all it's brown glory across the land right to the South China Sea. The Mekong really is mighty, at 5000 kms, it's the twelfth largest river in the world.

      I land and we get herded out to the airport immigration area to get our Visas, the line up is quite long and very slow, I try my luck in the art of bribing a government official, I see a uniformed security type person and offer him $5 to process my application. He takes my paperwork and returns in about 2 minutes and I avoid 2 or 3 lines of waiting, I saved at least 45 minutes doing this.

    Someone is supposed to meet me at the airport and I don't see him anywhere, I exit the doors and get hit by a sweaty, hot 36 degree wall, and being in my jeans, was perfect. I look around at the crowd of people waiting for loved ones, when this quy approaches me and introduces himself as Mom and tells me that he is my taxi.  He brings me to the Riverstar hotel and I have finally arrived.
Hotel is at the end of this road

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it safely to Phnom Penh Luc....went on google maps and noticed there are no traffic lights there...so be careful crossing the street...nice day here tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PP is one of my favourite places in the world - a great place to start your Asian adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading that, you are so funny and quite a storyteller! It's like listening to you tell a story, but A LOT quieter! :-)
    I can't believe you already bribed someone, I would have been afraid that I'd be doing hard time before I even got there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, I saw the lack of lights Jim, but even when there are red lights, no one pays attention I was in a tuk-tuk going wrong way on a one way street....and we weren't in the minority. I can see why it is your favorite Kirsty, there is much charm and many beautiful stories to be heard. Sandy, I saw the line and the officer kinda walked me through the bribe...lol

    ReplyDelete