Wednesday 19 August 2015

The last week in Ottawa

Hi everybody,

     It's been a while, but the time is almost upon me. Time for me to share what I've been doing to prepare for my journey. The purging, the financing, the paperwork, the packing, the unpacking, the packing, the small purchases, the re-packing, and finally, the goodbyes.

     When I thought of what I would bring, I figured, I'll just toss a few things in a backpack and off I'll go. Good idea, not really. There is a lot to bring...even when you don't want to bring anything.  I had read many blogs and they all say the same thing...pack for 1 week, laundry is the same all over the world. I have to remember to bring some bug spray, malaria pills, sunblock, a hat, some shoes and electronics. The backpack is now my carry on and I got (a dear friend bought this) a medium suitcase, and now a personal bag (carry on #2).

   Once I figured what I would bring, I realized that, although I had recently rid myself of a lot of possessions, I still have many. I proceeded to gather extra clothes and separate for my kids, and for donation. I donated many items, including my PS3, which for my kids, is outdated (they can use the games for trade bait). My other possessions I have stored in a tote bin at my mother's home. My car will go to my son and more will simply be thrown out.

    I have had to change some money over to the US Greenback, as it's a pretty universal currency that will be accepted where I am going. A very bad time to be exchanging....it cost me $134 CND for $100 USD,....what a rip!!! Well, you gotta do what you gotta do :) I also had to call my financial institutions to let them know where I would be, as I would be in tough if my cards were cancelled on me.

     I was reading about visas and how to get them, Cambodia is quite simple, show up and they will help guide you through at the airport when you land. I figured I would get my Thai visa when I got settled. I then noticed that as Canadians, we don't need a visa for 30 day stays. I was planning a longer stay, so I asked at the Embassy and was told to get one here for 60 days. So I did.



    I packed and unpacked on several occasions, as I had packed too early, too many t shirts, to many sweaters, too many pants, etc. I also packed a Canadian flag and a Senators Jersey (not needed, but who cares). My carry on will have my laptop, tablet, camera, and some clothes, as well as toiletries to keep me fresh on the flights.

    The weekend before the last, some of my good friends had gotten together for our annual cottage retreat/party to which  has been named after Fidel Castro, as there were many cigars during the early years, I am the newcomer to this party, having only been going for 23 years. A great sendoff  was from these dear friends at the cottage, always great times are had with these great people. The last weekend before I leave, there is a great big pool party at my brother's home. What a great time, friends and relatives made it quite special for me.

    Well, I left a bunch of stuff in the car and my son is getting the car and giving his brother a big bag of clothes and keeping some for himself. My favorite sister comes through for me again and again, this time out to dinner and to the airport, thanks for the ride, lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment