Thursday 27 August 2015

Sleepless in Phnom Penh

     The Riverstar Hotel, what a view! I have a great room with wall to wall windows, facing the river, the mighty Mekong. I settle in and head down to have a walk and acclimatize myself to my new surroundings. I keep it short, as I don't want to start my trip by being lost or disoriented as the time change and the lack of sleep will catch me, I'm sure. There are many, many people trying to sell their products here, from books, bracelets, food, rides, marijuana, to companionship, mostly books, though.
Fishermen setting their nets in the morning

     I return to the hotel and get myself a club sandwich and a water. The outdoor restaurant is quite nice, but anyone can wander in, and they do. The 'riverside riff-raff' see a westerner and they come quickly, selling their wares (as noted above) or just asking for a hand out.  A man who has lost his legs to a landmine, wheels his way to my table with a box of books to which he tells me his story. He was working in a field shortly after the Khmer Rouge were overthrown, and he stepped in the wrong place. I did not want a book, but I gave him 2000 Riels, equivalent to 50 cents US. Three kids come in, selling bracelets and books (same books as the first guy) They were girl 12, boy 10, and girl 7, their english was fantastic. They said they went to school for a few hours a day, then to work until dark. A woman with a baby came and stood by my table next, I looked at her and she just put her hand out, I shook my head no. She did not move for some time...awkward...a staff came over and sent her off. I would see these people, and more like them every time I was out of my room.

    Went for ice cream and ended up with the three kids from earlier, to which I said I would buy them each a scoop. We ate and chatted, I let them know I did not wish to hear them hawking their wares, but rather a hello instead, Pretty smart, right? They agreed, but did not keep their end of the bargain, they got a job to do, and they do it well.
Vanny, a 10 year old vendor at the restaurant


     This jet lag talk was just that...all talk, I'm fine, I wake up at....WHAT!!! 12:45 am!!!! Nnnnooooo!!!! I try to fall back asleep to no avail, go down and sit in restaurant, where I see many Scooters to which are parked amongst the tables and chairs, I also spot a sleeping security and hotel clerk, I sit and read from my tablet. I wait until 6am to find coffee and breakfast, readily available, and pretty good. This jet lag would haunt me for many days to come, as my bed time was anywhere from 7pm to 12 midnight, my wake up was 1 to 3:30 am for the rest of my time here.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to read you are slowly acclimatizing...so what are your short term plans for now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short term, I am going abit south to a city called Bueng Kan, and see the waterfalls, I have heard they are awesome, but has been a dry rainy season so far. Then up to Chiang Mai a bigger city in the north west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be so hard to be approached so often by people wanting something from you...hard and sad.
    I could picture you with the kids, eating ice cream, it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Sandi, it was really tough, but you have to stand tough....as there is a line of hands to feed. The ice cream was fun..to see the kids smile was great.

    ReplyDelete